Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Beads and busyness

This is the second ornament I started this week. The first one was another pin and bead satin ball kit. After several hours of working on it I realized that there was no way I could finish it this week. Too much happening - mostly fun.

So, I searched for something I could finish and did what I could on the other one.

This pretty little tidbit is a nice easy addition to my collection.

So what sort of busyness? We started with a washer repair. Monthly cheese club and dinner at Cyril's. Haircut. Pink Martini concert at the zoo. Stitch and Pitch at the Hillsboro Hops game. And a few days in Seattle with friends. After being sure the guys knew what needed doing during my absence.

Next week should be more of the same. Oh and another small detail - I'm turning (gasp!) 60.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Another pin bites the dust

Or to quote The Graduate, "One word: plastics."

I found these directions on Pinterest. They are from an internet craft seller, BJ's Craft Supplies.  It is made with tinsel stems, i.e. pipe cleaners, and a variety of plastic beads. I used pinkish-purplish tinsel stems, purple beads, AB multicolor beads and long clear AB beads which let the brights stems show through.

I think I faked a few steps of the directions - I was baffled by the diagram showing wrapping the stems around the ferris wheel bead. My brain and 2D pictures showing a 3D object do not always play well together.

It was very hard to capture the dimension of this one in a photo. Ward helped hold it, His comment, "It's really pretty if you like purple." Which of course he doesn't.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

And now for something completely different

I used to like to cross stitch. Not so much anymore. It's kind of hard to see those tiny little holes, especially at night when I usually do my crafty things.  I do have a few cute cross stitch kits left
which I should try to get around to. This one, though, was a level of cross stitch I'm totally comfortable with right now.

I found these on etsy a year ago. There were 3 plastic trees with holes to use to cross stitch, some yarn in 3 colors and buttons. I went ahead and made 2 of them because they were quick and easy.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

More pins

 This week I worked on a kit I got on etsy recently. It is a kit sold by Lee Wards in the late 70s. It seems I keep working on new purchases and not getting rid of old ones (which of course was the aim of this project!). Not to mention that I am making one from packages, leaving extras to deal with. I think a future project will be trying to sell these leftovers!

This one was really fun to do! The black things (that look like headphone foam covers) are the base - already covered in black! The covering is usually the hardest part. The pins were easy to space because of the silver paper shapes. And it is really pretty!
So pretty and so much fun I almost want to make the other one in the package. Almost but probably not.